Executive Information Technology Consulting & Development Services offered by Steve Diamond

Steve Speaks on How To Avoid Technology Traps

03 July 2009

I recently appeared on Nancy Brown’s Business Guru Show on Blog Talk Radio to speak about “How To Avoid Technology Traps.” You can hear the show (30 minutes) by following the link or you can play it right here:

99 Comments to “Steve Speaks on How To Avoid Technology Traps”

1. mark says:

cool! I always love talk radio because everything gets explained so well, and it’s easy to listen to, so I’ll definitely check this out, especially since the subject is right up my alley as a blogger!

2. Mack says:

Steve, I am really interested in hearing your thoughts shared @ Nancy’s radio show. I have problem with the streaming content as my websense blocks all online streaming programs. Do you have any direct link so that i can download and listen? Also let me know if you have any TV shows up to be aired.

Regards,
    Mack McMillan

3. Girish says:

Steve, you have given some excellent tips to novice like me. I have been susceptible to almost all of the technology traps and your talk show comes as a sign of relief to me. I will share this with my fellow NZ friends who would definitely enjoy it.

Thanks!

PS: If possible please give us the direct link to the mp3 file. Some of my friends don’t have access to streaming content inside their universities.
    .-= Girish@Auckland Car Rental´s last blog ..Rugby World Cup Car Rentals =-.

4. TigerTom says:

Technology should be a means to an end, not an end in itself.

5. Kelli says:

Steve,

I really enjoyed your contribution to the show. It was definitely worth the listen and I think that like Girish, you’ve given me some important tips to avoid mistakes that I would normally make.

Thanks.
    .-= Kelli@Industrial Automation Controls´s last blog ..Main Page =-.

6. Thanks for the insights you’ve shared. It was a long 30 minutes interview but was still able to listen to it. As what innovations nowadays can offer, there are also other things that really need to be taken cared of. Somehow, it requires someone to know the appropriate alternatives and ways in applying and avoiding any circumstances. Thanks.
    .-= Short Sale Agent in Las Vegas´s last blog ..Hard times for Hi-Rise lender =-.

7. For behavioral interviewing it is not so much the technical details of the answer as how the interviewee responds. You need to listen carefully to the question to understand how to set up your response. I can agree the interviewer may not have much interest in a descriptive answer but it depends on what you are describing. In an interview for example, where I am looking for a demonstration for an attention to detail for a pump install, I am not really interested in the technical details of the install but in how you ensured it was installed correctly and what you did specifically.

8. Don says:

Kind of a long interview, but was interesting.

9. Matthew says:

This was a great post and this is information that people in all kinds of business need. You have offered a lot of good advice here and it is all worth it for business owners to listen to it and follow it. Don’t make this mistake in your business because it will be costly and you don’t want to do that because the business will go under.

10. John says:

You have made some good points here but in all actuality the tech traps are something that you can avoid to a point but after that you are bounds to fall into some of them no matter how good you are. Thank you for sharing this with us I look forward to your next post as well.

11. Richelle says:

Your video clip that you added the link to was put together very well and it was short enough that it grabs your attention. Very well played putting that in your blog instead of some long article that 9 out of 10 people are not going to take the time to read anyway. Great job keep up the good work.

12. Ann says:

Thank you for posting this the way that you did the video was an attention getter and then after watching it I wanted to know more so I started researching it. I have learned so much that will help me in the future with technology and not getting caught in the trap that I will be the new tech guru of the family.

13. Gary says:

I love the fact that you used a video to catch the attention of the audience. You must have done your homework and found out that people are too lazy to read anymore so you have to give them a lure like a fish to draw them in. Thank you for posting this it was very interesting to watch and I will watch your results as well.

14. Tracy says:

Thank you for embedding the audio from this web cast onto this article. I actually enjoy listening to informative lessons rather than reading. It lets me multitask. That way, I can turn it up and do chores or surf the internet while still taking in the information. I found this interview to be quite enlightening and I appreciate the information I’ve gotten from this site. Keep up the posts, please. Thank you and all the best.

15. Tracy says:

Of the three main pitfalls that Steve talked about in this interview, I would guess that it is the third one that is one of the more common mistakes. I say this because I have seen people make this mistake at jobs where I have worked in the past. They get excited about a new software that comes out and since they have the budget, they buy it, without ever really needing it. As a result, they never use it. What a waste of company money.

16. Priscilla says:

This interview is quite interesting, since I never have met a technical consultant. I never quite knew what sort of businesses they get hired by. I did have a look at the portfolio links on the nav menu and I must say the websites are quite diverse. I enjoy surfing a site that has a good share of streaming video. It makes the site much more interesting and enlightening. Keep up the good work, sir.

17. Leroy says:

Besides buying software, cloud server technology has brought about a new dilemma for many businesses. So I imagine there is a new set of pitfalls that are looming. They may even be similar. If you have not converted your sales and marketing activities into the cloud, that should be one of the priorities for this year. There are too many tools that can help streamline your systems and processes to not be looking into them.

18. Shawn says:

The new challenges companies are facing involve mobile apps, not just traditional software. In the past year developers and researchers have created apps to help study the flu and to experience nature in urban spaces. This allows us to imagine and experience the world in new ways we’ve never dreamed of.” Open to students and the general public, the talks will provide people with a deeper appreciation for electronic media and strategies for becoming more sophisticated consumers of them.

19. Willie says:

I think it’s important that your budget doesn’t just cover the initial system costs, but also includes software upgrades. And don’t forget new hardware – no PC or screen lasts forever and you might want to add more players or bandwidth in the future. Other budget items might be training – not just at the start, but ongoing training as you add new features or users – and creative services. You may want to hire designers once in a while to refresh your look.

20. Demetrius says:

Something Willie said made me think about my own situation. When he wrote about budgeting for hardware updates (because screens don’t last forever’), it made me realize that this doesn’t just apply to businesses. As consumers, we should always have money saved up for when that unexpected day comes when your computer or other piece of hardware goes down. This is important for me since I rely on my computer for just about everything from work to leisure.

21. Richelle says:

It is important to consider a vendor’s momentum, litigation issues, profitability, ability to successfully deliver its new product, employee and management turnover rate, employee morale, leadership vision, and strategic direction. This is the general problem with using books, databases, surveys, etc. that compare your requested features, with features the product has. It is static data that does not ebb and flow, not to mention that the data in the survey may be inaccurate or incomplete.

22. Alan says:

This was an interesting interview. Speaking from a marketing point of view, I think it is a good move by Steve Diamond to post this interview because I find interviews to be very compelling and they can give potential customers a good feel for the kind of professional they are considering hiring. I got the sense that Steve has experience under his belt and possibly because of that, he is patient and methodical in his approach to problem solving.

23. Christopher says:

Field Service Management Software can automate manual tasks and increase efficiency when implemented properly. There are so many different features available that unless you identify the problem your company needs to solve, you could end up purchasing a solution that includes flashy features you never use, and ultimately drive up cost. I would say it’s good to develop a list of must-haves and nice-to-haves before reaching out to software vendors so you have an idea of what you are looking for to get the highest ROI.

24. Matthew says:

If you’re a tiny startup with an unproven product and little cash in the bank, do you really think an established company is going to put their brand and reputation on the line and market your product? It’s highly unlikely in my experience. You will get interest from less established companies or companies that have no technology expertise in house or other startups who like you have no customers. All of these scenarios are pretty much time sucks – technology traps.

25. Alvin says:

26. Christine says:

With a little planning, many of these potential technology roll out and adoption issues can be avoided. Failed or troubled implementations of instructional technologies can give the whole idea of ed tech’ a bit of a black eye and result in bad experiences that may take years to forget and move on from. The fact is, technology implementations struggle or flat out fail every day, but the good news is that many of the shortcomings that lead to problems can be foreseen and circumvented.

27. Susan says:

I suppose these and just about any problem can be avoided, but it is easier said than done. After all, hind sight is 20 / 20. When you are caught up in the process and you are facing a deadline – because in business every project or task has to have a deadline or an estimated time of completion – you do not always have the time to carefully consider all things. So you end up winging it if you feel the crunch of time.

28. Paul says:

I plead guilty to what Susan mentioned. I recall finding myself in a position where I was under pressure to make a decision on choosing a software application, but I could not do my due diligence because I was overwhelmed with my day to day tasks. I was the only IT person in a small start-up company, so the onus was completely on me. As the deadline approached, my only recourse was to go by what I did know about the software and guess that I chose correctly.

29. Jim says:

Another technology trap is how Schools buy stuff badly. This spells trouble for education technology. Schools will buy the wrong things, at bad prices and for the wrong students. The result: schools will implement edtech more slowly, results will improve minimally if at all, the wrong technology will prosper and money will be diverted from more effective goods and services. If we want to avoid this future, we need to fix the procurement process now before it’s too late.

30. Charles says:

Even smart people can walk right into one of the technology traps that Steve mentions. Anyone walking around the iNACOL symposium would likely overhear a conversation about how a school or district started a blended or online program by choosing its technology first. This will inevitably lead to poor and ineffective implementation. The Los Angeles ipad situation is the most recent example that is often discussed. This seems like such a common story that the question naturally arises – why does it happen? Why do (apparently) smart people make poor decisions?

31. Jim says:

I like the comments that address the importance of making good software assessments for schools. It’s not just about the companies that exist for profit, but also just as important are the schools which educate and mold our future generations. They rely on apps and mobile technology more than ever for entertainment and education. So we need to at least make sure that they are getting the optimal tools that will stimulate curiosity and the desire to learn.

32. Susan says:

Since we’re focusing on technology in schools, I think it is worth mentioning what drives many district and state technology leaders bonkers – that would be: being asked time and again by their school boards, superintendents, parents, and media: What does the research say about whether we should invest in iPads, tablets, and 1:1 laptops? What they really want to know is: does the new technology work? Is it effective? I think all schools should issue tablets or ipads cause it’s much more efficient for handling the course syllabus.

33. Shawn says:

I love this post you have touched on a base that I think should have been touched on a long time ago and that is how lazy society has become because of technology. I have never seen a group of kids more lazy and unhealthy as the generations that have been coming up sense 2010. The more technology we get them less they go outside the less they move around period.

34. Mary says:

As a small business owner, you may have to take care of the payroll jobs if you need people to run a business. Because if you hire people, you have payments to make, you need to deduct taxes from each paycheck and send the deducted money to the IRS. Many people like you who start their own successful companies are intelligent, have field experience and an entrepreneur spirit to get things done. However, when it comes to accounting, and in particular payroll jobs, they often stumble.

35. Richelle says:

Those who at one time got the urge to upgrade from Windows XP or Vista to Windows were initially afraid to jump in. Those who got Windows 7 pre-installed on a new PC were likely to have little or no trouble with the new system. However, smooth sailing is not a given for every upgrade attempt. I think the Windows 8 operating system has made it pretty seamless to upgrade to newer versions and to do system recovery.

36. Horace says:

Interesting interview, if you are a tech buff. It is certainly not for everyone. Some non-technical persons or those without any vested interest in software might fall asleep listening to this interview. But the points Steve makes are valid. Unless you write software code, upgrading an app or an entire system is a nightmare of a task nobody wants. So take heed to these warnings so you don’t suffer your own Armageddon at the work place.

37. Diana says:

I have to admit that this is not what I was expecting at all but after I watched your video I think I liked it more than what I was expecting anyway. Thank you for using the very technology that you are referring to in the video to get your point across, video and TV is the biggest technology trap of them all I think. Keep up the good work.

38. Clyde says:

You did a great job on this video, that was a very clever way to get people to read your post as well. I never thought it would come to the day when you would have to post video advertisements because people have gotten to lazy to read the regular ones anymore because it takes to much of their time. How much time did they waste watching the video though?

39. Jim says:

I have to admit I didn’t watch your video all the way through because I simply didn’t have time but I wanted you to know that I thought this was a great idea to get your point across and I will go back and finish it this evening. Thank you so much for the work you have put into this I look forward to following your blog to catch more.

40. Jon says:

I think it is important to avoid buying software from firms that don’t have a well-articulated strategy for how their products operate in a cloud environment including integration with other applications. Alternatively, buy from software firms that clearly state that their strategy is never to operate in the cloud. Avoid the middle ground where the strategy is unclear or there is not any real progress. These are the companies at the highest risk of failing.

41. Paul says:

Great blog and great technique on how to avoid the traps set before us. I fell into one of those traps and it costs me money every month now just because I fell into the trap of a smart phone. There is always going to be something bigger and something better coming out so if you think you have the newest and latest technology you are wrong.

42. Alvin says:

Over the last few years, cloud computing has become one of the most useful, reliable and popular tools. The positives of using the cloud are obvious: it reduces capital costs with no need for hardware. Most importantly, you have peace of mind knowing your information is backed up in a safe place. On the surface, it seems as if choosing a cloud service is easy; that said, there are some significant pitfalls users tend to fall in. These pitfalls can have detrimental repercussions and could cost you or your company an incredible amount of data and money.

43. Clyde says:

Software is not the only thing that can become costly if you make a mistake. Social media, for instance, can be a powerful marketing tool. But used the wrong way, social media sites can have a negative impact on your business — costing you goodwill and prospective customers. Companies who fail to provide guidelines for how their employees should conduct themselves online are dealing with a ticking time bomb. Some companies forbid their employees from using any social media.

44. Tony says:

As PCs get more powerful and easier to use, the challenges involved with upgrading them have remained about the same. For the novice, a hard drive upgrade can appear downright daunting. For more experienced tinkerers, the upgrade itself may be easy, but it’s easier still to overlook factors that could streamline the whole process and better protect both the hardware and the data stored on it. I like to store my data on portable devices.

45. John says:

You used a very cool way to get your point across, I like the video idea but isn’t that a technology trap that people can fall into as well? You had some really good points however and I think that everyone should see this so I’m going to share it with as many people as I possibly can in hopes that this will help those people that are so addicted to the next best thing.

46. Darryl says:

Tony I understand what you are saying here but portable devices can get corrupted as well then what ever corrupted them is transferred to whatever device you hook it up to. This happened to one of my sons external hard drives and he ended up corrupting is laptop when he plugged it in to that. So this isn’t a sure fire way to do things either.

47. Diana says:

Psychology is a key element of financial trading, and how you perceive and react to your trading can have a major impact on your success. There are some elements of trading psychology that need to be identified including a few common mistakes (or traps) to watch out for. It is essential to be well prepared. You can find a whole host of information and learning resources out there, including webinars and video tutorials, many of which are free.

48. Clyde says:

What makes technology so treacherous a business is that everything changes very rapidly, markets are often winner take all, and the future is especially hard to predict. So plenty of companies do deals and acquisitions that, in retrospect, are often monumentally stupid. When News Corp bought MySpace for $580 million, that looked like an extremely savvy play by the old media company. But due to mismanagement and Facebook, MySpace stopped growing and then kept faltering.

49. Fonda says:

Possessing illegal software may be the easiest trap into which many organizations fall. The issue is certainly widespread. The differences between OEM, retail and open license software escapes the understanding of many business owners. Yet, manufacturers are becoming more aggressive in locking down licenses and prosecuting offenders (often via the BSA, which has collected more than $81 million in settlements). Many organizations don’t recognize they do not “own software (instead programs and applications are commonly licensed). Worse, some firms use “borrowed applications or pirated programs.

50. Jose says:

Clyde you are so right you can do irreparable damage to your business if you are not careful with social media. You also have to monitor the comments left by others because what they can say might damage your business as well. Keep up the good work with these kinds of post they are very helpful and a lot of people will use the advice.